Vista Sucks.....more

| Posted in , , , | Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009

I hate to hate things. Anything. Really I do.

Yet microsofts abomination of an operating system can never let me be happy with it. The other week, upon installing a few updates my MBR went bad.
How? I haven't a clue. So I popped in my recovery CD (not on the actual Vista disk, it is on a separate disk just for alien wear computers) to try to recover the startup options. Once or twice I have had to do this since my ever changing combination of OS's can skrew up my boot record (ie: Grub takes over and doesn't want to leave).

To my unhappiness, Vista gave me an error reading: "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically. If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or a portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance."

I must admit, I had left my iPod Touch plugged in during this process by accident. Upon detaching the iPod and restarting the computer I got the same error. I then unplugged the computer for a few minutes....
same error.

Then I turned to what used to be the recovery console only to find that in Vista, all the commands that worked in XP do not work for Vista. At that point I decided that Microsoft put the FU back in Fun.

I continued browsing google on my iPod Touch trying to learn the new Vista commands. Apparently they are the same (for example fixboot and fixmbr) but you need to type the directory of them, you cant just type them. Kinda a step backwards I'd say.

After trying multiple commands several times, I gave up and attempted to install a new version of Linux Mint onto some empty partition space in the hopes Grub (the linux bootloader) would somehow allow me onto Vista.

The plan would have worked but when I went down to the Vista entry I received an error about the MBR being corrupt. My best guess is my fiddling with the recovery console commands was the cause of that one.

At around 3 in the morning I finally went to bed an unplugged my computer. When I woke up in the morning I tried the Automatic Recovery again and it repaired the MBR just like it should, and everything worked again.

Today I got the same error and had the same problem (though this time I had not left ANYTHING plugged in, nor did I attempt the recovery commands). I installed Linux Mint on some empty space and the grub bootloader was able to detect Vista and let me boot into it just fine.
While in Vista I installed a program called Easy BCD that allowed me to edit my MBR from within windows.








Comments (0)