WIne Attempt #1

| Posted in | Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008

This past hour I have been fiddling around with Wine - a linux program that is supposed to let you run windows programs in linux.

I have been stumbling through the install process fine, using the packaged updated in linux mint I was able to get wine up and running.

I thin downloaded the iTunes .exe from Apples site and tried to get it to install.

THe install went beautifully however I could not find the .exe AFTER the install. The guides I found online seemed to think it would appear on the desktop, which it did not despite the error-less install.


WHile browsing for an answer I discovered online that there should be a 'fake' C:/ folder in the WIne directory - which was as impossible to find as the itunes.exe I Was looking for.
Fortunately linux mint does haev a search. However, I was disappointed by the speed of it. Oh well.

I ended up trying to launch the programs via the .exe that was installed under Vista.
I tried both iTUnes and DIgsby. Though both seemed to run at first I very quickly got an error message for each.

I shall attribute this confusion to my being very tired.

Perhaps I Will spend tomorrow trying to figure it out (after all - its Thanksgiving Break still).




ALso note the lag between turning caps lock on and off, linux carrys over the caps one more character than its actually turned on for. Hmmm.

Comments (1)

That's in the Wine FAQ, see
wiki.winehq.org/FAQ:

"browse to the ".wine/drive_c/Program Files" folder in your home directory (it is hidden, so you might need to do View->Show Hidden Files in your file manager)"